Monday, September 15, 2014

I'm Moving Again!

     I know, it's only been a few months since I moved down south but life happens and we go with the flow. Right? Right.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Baby Blankies

     Since I can't afford an extension table for my sewing machine, I have been working on small projects that can be machine quilted with what tools are available to me now. Also, it's been a goal to use up the remainder fabric from the fat quarter bundle 'Grow With Me' by Moda (partly because I paid so much money for it!!). Thus far I have used it for my nephew's quilt and the Chicks and Dots quilt. Recently, I made a large blankie/quilt top for no one in particular and a tiny blankie for my nephew (no middle batting so it isn't a quilt), using more of the fat quarter bundle. Here they are:




     My complaint about the large blankie was using minky! Good lord that was super difficult! Like really difficult. I even used a stabilizer to reduce how much it moved and it did help, but not 100%.My criticism for the blankie for my nephew is that the top border doesn't line up with the bottom border. I'm not sure how I could have made it more accurate. The middle border made it difficult to line up. I am going to be making one more blankie using the bundle, if these were made for any gender the next one would lean more towards "girlie".

Thanks for stopping by!
Happy quilting!!

Beatrice

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Batik Table Runner

Oh hey there! I have been busy looking for a job and putting a tonne of energy into art/quilting. When it comes down to it, I'm really not good at relaxing. Anyways, my darling sister was using a winter wall hanging that I made for her as a table runner. This kinda baffled me so I offered to make her one and took the winter wall hanging home to clean it a bit and add a sleeve for hanging up. Here is the new table runner:

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I Moved!

I moved and that's why there hasn't been any new posts. I'm in the south east now! Really exciting and fun so far. I've been busy quilting during packing breaks and here's what I have accomplished:

Pattern: Chicks and Dots
Difficulty: Easy Peasy - intermediate (because of the applique)
Where: My Brainium
Designer: Me

 

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Fair Isle Baby Quilt

Pattern: Fair Isle Baby Quilt
Difficulty: Easy Peasy
Where: Moda Bakeshop
Designer: Leah Douglas of buggspot

I pretty much followed the pattern's colors except for the middle where I used Blue and Green Footprint fabric from the Grow With Me by Moda line. The majority of the quilt front is brushed cotton or flannel from the Grow With Me fat quarter bundle. It didn't take long at all and the only "difficult" part was lining up the white blocks of row 8 to make a cross.


Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wool-skirt Blanket

It gets quite chilly up here in the north and fuel is expensive; blankets and quilts are absolutely necessary. The only quilt I've made for myself was the 'Sunshine and Marmalade' that is queen sized. Much too big to use while sewing. For a while I was using a thick skirt that had ripped as a blanket. I decided to sew combine it with a large piece of wool that I had purchased at the fall yard sale at my local quilt shop. No adjustments were made to the skirt at all, so it's still curvy. Probably the most basic thing I have ever made but it is really warm now!



Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Monday, February 3, 2014

Batik Scrap Quilt

Last fall my local quilt shop held a yard sale. They opened their parking lot, nicely shaded IMO, to local quilters to sell their extra material, quilts, or do-hickies. One of the employees told me that the year before she made out quite nicely, purchasing brand new jellyroll for $3! So I attended with a set budget of $40. Once I got there it got extended to $60. You know how it goes! In my defense, I bought a ton of fabric. One sweet purchase was a trash bag filled half way of batik scraps - all different colors, starched, and mostly square or rectangle. It cost $5! I'm not a huge fan of scrap quilts and really who could be sure if the scraps would fit a specific pattern. So I just went willy nilly and sewed them all together! Right now it measures about 36x48. Here's what it looks like: